Sunday, December 18, 2011

The King and Three of His Followers

Luders Allen

July 2011
© Copyright 2011




Once upon a time there was a king in his palace. He ruled as an iron fist, and had no remorse and shame. All he loved and cared about was his absolute power he possessed. One night, the king had a warningly scary dream. The next morning, he woke from sleep, and had been trying hardly to remind the dream and could not. He had spent the entire day in trying to remember that dream; unfortunately he could not… So, early evening, he called three of his followers and expected for one of them to describe his dream….

The three followers knew it was impossible for them to describe their king’s dream. Therefore, in their mind they knew that their fate is to face execution.

While the king sat on his beautifully precious garment chair with his diamond crown on his head and wore a gold and velvet ornamental robe, he called the first follower and said,

“I had an horrible dream last night, which is tormented my mind. I woke this morning and I had been trying my best to remember that dream and I could not recall a thing in it. It is ruined my entire day. I want you to describe that dream for me and I know you can.”

“Your majesty, it is with great respect I wish I could describe your dream. This would be my utmost pleasure to do anything for my king. Your majesty, unfortunately, I can’t and I don’t want to lie to you. As you know, your majesty, I will never lie to you,” the follower replied in crying to the king.

“How dare you deny my request? Come on take him to the chamber!!!” the king said to his guards.

The king called the second follower and said to him,
“I had an horrible dream last night, which is tormented my mind. I woke this morning and I had been trying my best to recall that dream and I could not remember a thing in it. It is ruined my entire day. I want you to describe that dream for me and I know you can.”

Now, the second follower saw how by being honest was the cause that drove the first follower into death row. In order to save his life, he decided to describe a dream-made story to the king.

“Your majesty, it is with great pleasure I am about to describe your dream for you. Ok, your majesty, here is the dream:”

As soon as he was about to describe the dream, he was interrupted and stopped by the king.

“You are a fool and a liar. How do you want me to believe and trust you? If you can have the audacity to stand before me in pretending you are describing my dream for me…, you have the courage to plot against my monarch as well. Come on guards, take that fool away from my sight and take him to the chamber!!!” the king said angrily.

Now, the third follower witnessed two horrible examples, which left him with no choice at all. He neither could be honest nor being a fool to the king.

“I don’t know what I am going to say to the king when I am called. Being honest I will still face execution. Being a fool I will still face execution. Therefore, my only choice is to be honest to the king,” the third follower whispered.

The king called the third follower and demanded him to describe his dream.

“I had an horrible dream last night, which is tormented my mind. I woke this morning and I had been trying my best to recall that dream and I could not remember a thing in it. It is ruined my entire day. I want you to describe that dream to me and I know you can,” the king said to the third follower.

“Your majesty, from the bottom of my heart, I don’t have the courage to lie to you. I wish I possessed god’s power to be able to describe your dream or others although I were not the dreamer of the dream,” the third follower replied to the king.

“How dare you deny my request? Come on take him to the chamber!!!” the king said angrily to his guards. “Now, I want you to release the two followers that were honest with me. And the fool that was trying to describe my dream, I want him to be executed. He is not someone to trust.”



Power is always taken for granted. Also, it is best to apply dignity, pride and honesty at the core of any circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment